5 Things to Know About Chelan-Douglas Counties Volunteer Attorney Services
Through Chelan-Douglas Counties Volunteer Attorney Services (VAS), legal professionals donate more than 600 hours and $140,000 in pro bono legal services every year to people and families in Chelan and Douglas counties.
Here are five things you should know about them:
- A variety of programs. Chelan-Douglas Counties Volunteer Attorney Services hosts twice-weekly clinics at their office, a weekly Housing Justice Project at the Chelan County Court House, monthly will and estates clinics at the Wenatchee Valley Senior Center, and quarterly bankruptcy clinics.
- They need your help. VAS is especially looking for attorneys to assist with the first few steps of a family law case after the initial one-hour consultation.
- How to volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering with Chelan-Douglas Counties Volunteer Attorney Services, you can learn more on the website and register online, or call the office (509-663-2778) and talk with Eloise Barshes, the director. Eloise likes to meet with interested volunteers to find out how VAS can support their pro bono goals.
- Their next event is coming up. The 7th Annual Community Justice CLE Blitz on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017. The CLE will include 3 ethics credits and cover marijuana law, diminished capacity/guardianship updates, legal implication of social media, the impact of incivility and implicit bias and building an effective brand. All proceeds from the CLE Blitz ensure that local individuals and families living in poverty can access legal services when they need them most. Early bird registration ends Oct. 20.
- How you can connect with them: Find the Chelan-Douglas Counties Volunteer Attorney Services on Facebook or send them an email. You can also sign up for their newsletter by going to their website.
Volunteers with VAS, and many other organizations, receive access to free trainings through the Washington State Bar Association and up to 24 hours of credit just for volunteering! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.