Today, President Obama issued a proclamation declaring May 1 as Law Day. In it, he honors this year’s Magna Carta theme.
“This Law Day, we celebrate a milestone in the extraordinary history of the rule of law by marking the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta,” said Obama. “The ideals of the Magna Carta inspired America’s forefathers to define and protect many of the rights expressed in our founding documents, which we continue to cherish today.” Read the full proclamation.
You can learn more about the Magna Carta at the ABA Division for Public Education’s new website, Magna Carta: Icon of Liberty. The site tells the story of the significance of the Magna Carta through images and multimedia components, including an interactive timeline and a video interview with Magna Carta scholar Nicholas Vincent.
Learn more about Law Day events around Washington state:
- Thurston County Bar Law Day Speech Contest
- Washington State Association for Justice Law Day Celebration (May 6)
- Gig Harbor Law Day 2015
- Clallam County-Jefferson County Law Day And Pro Bono Lawyers Celebration
- Classroom Law Project’s Law Day Conference
- Bellingham’s Law Day Mayoral Proclamation
- Kitsap County Law Day Celebration